Pandemic Influenza Preparedness (PIP) Framework
What is the PIP Framework?
The PIP Framework brings together Member States, industry, other stakeholders and WHO to implement a global approach to pandemic influenza preparedness and response. Its key goals include: to improve and strengthen the sharing of influenza viruses with human pandemic potential; and to increase the access of developing countries to vaccines and other pandemic related supplies. The Framework was developed by Member States. It came into effect on 24 May 2011 when it was unanimously adopted by the Sixty-fourth World Health Assembly (2011)
The annual Partnership Contribution (PC) is a cash contribution of US$ 28 million given to WHO by influenza vaccine, diagnostic and pharmaceutical manufacturers that use the WHO Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System. This money is used to prepare for--and respond to--an influenza pandemic.
The PIP Framework has a three-pronged governance structure:
- The World Health Assembly that oversees implementation of the PIP Framework;
- The Director-General who promotes implementation of the Framework and advises the World Health Assembly; and,
- The PIP Framework Advisory Group that monitors the implementation of the PIP Framework and provides guidance to the Director-General.
Influenza virus sharing, conducted by the WHO Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System (GISRS), is vital to global pandemic preparedness. The sharing of viruses facilitates pandemic risk assessment, the development of candidate vaccine viruses, updating of diagnostic reagents and test kits, and surveillance for resistance to antiviral medicines.
The page below contains a number of key PIP Framework-related documents, such as:
- Questions and Answers on the PIP Framework
- PIP Framework infographic
- A list of PIP Framework-related publications in academic journals and other publications
- PIP and Influenza@WHO newsletters
Meeting of the Partnership Contribution Independent Technical Expert Mechanism
1-2 October 2019
Webinar on Implementation of Decision WHA72(12)
7 October 2020, 12:00-14:00
Webinar web page
PIP Advisory Group Consultation with Stakeholders
9 October 2019, 13.30-16.30
146th Session of WHO Executive Board
3-8 February 2020
PIP Framework Secretariat