22 May 2019 – Algeria and Argentina have been officially recognized by WHO as malaria-free. The certification is granted when a country proves that it has interrupted indigenous transmission of the disease for at least 3 consecutive years.
8 May 2019 – Joe Cohen is co-inventor of RTS,S, the world’s first malaria vaccine to be introduced in a pilot programme. He shares his thoughts on the recent roll-out of the vaccine in Africa, and what this moment means for global health.
3 May 2019 - The Global Malaria Programme has created a new section on our website dedicated to explaining our policy-setting process. These web pages are a work in progress; feedback from all malaria stakeholders – especially from end-users of our malaria guidance – is actively sought. Please send any comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org. See, also, our latest meeting report of the Malaria Policy Advisory Committee (MPAC).
1 May 2019 - The Compendium of WHO malaria guidance provides, for the first time, a complete list of all formal WHO policy recommendations on malaria in a single resource. The document also serves as a catalogue of all WHO publications on malaria prevention, diagnosis, treatment, surveillance and elimination.
30 April 2019 – Today Ghana became the second country in Africa to introduce the RTS,S malaria vaccine to young children in selected areas. Combined with existing malaria prevention tools, the vaccine has the potential to save tens of thousands of lives.
23 April 2019 – Malawi was the first of 3 African countries to roll out the RTS,S malaria vaccine today in selected areas of moderate-to-high transmission. Rigorous clinical testing in 7 African countries has shown its potential to boost malaria prevention and save lives. Vaccine introductions in Ghana and Kenya will follow in the coming weeks.
Areas of work
- Diagnostic testing
- Drug resistance and response
- Entomology and vector control
- High-risk groups
- Preventive therapies
- E-2020 initiative on malaria elimination
- Malaria vaccine implementation programme (MVIP)
- Mekong Malaria Elimination (MME) programme
“High burden to high impact”
"High burden to high impact” brochure
World malaria report
Maps and data
Malaria eliminating countries
Malaria Threats Map
Malaria vector control
- Recommended selection criteria for procurement of malaria rapid diagnostic tests
- Malaria surveillance, monitoring & evaluation: a reference manual
- Data requirements and methods to support the evaluation of new vector control products
WHO malaria guidance
Other recent publications
- Malaria Policy Advisory Committee meeting report (April 2019)
- Ninth meeting of the WHO Vector Control Advisory Group
- Malaria rapid diagnostic test performance. Results of WHO product testing of malaria RDTs: round 8 (2016-2018)
News and media
Explaining WHO's policy-making process
Compendium of WHO malaria guidance
Malaria vaccine pilot launched in Ghana
Pilot project brings malaria preventive therapy closer to rural communities in Nigeria