Management and use
To ensure access to appropriate medical devices, proper management and use of medical equipment must be considered. This area is often referred to as clinical engineering or health-care technology management. The management process begins with understanding the needs of the country, region, community, or facility and ends with decommissioning. In between, the process consists of good procurement practices, appropriate donation solicitation and provision, logistics of delivery and installation, inventory management, maintenance, safe use and training, and measurement of clinical effectiveness.
WHO recognizes the importance of medical device management in contributing to the provision of quality health care and thus, under the Global Initiative on Health Technologies began developing tools and resources for Member States in this critical area. The first products to be published are available here with the remaining documents to follow.
Country data on health technology management
- Global Atlas of medical devices
- Country profile – Global atlas of medical devices (2017 update)
- Publications on health technology management
- Publications on medical device quality and safe use
Recognizing the important role of health technologies, the 60th World Health Assembly adopted resolution WHA60.29 in May 2007. The resolution covers issues arising from the inappropriate deployment and use of health technologies, and the need to establish priorities in the selection and management of health technologies, specifically medical devices. The management of health technologies serves to make sure that medical assets are available, accessible, affordable, appropriate, and used safely. An operational and appropriate management leads to improved health outcomes through optimal use of the resources.
Health Technology Management Topics:
Related links and files:
- American College of Clinical Engineering
- Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation
- Biomedical Instrumentation and Technology
- HUMATEM - La Banque de Matériel Médical pour la Solidarité Internationale – French
- International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering
- Journal of Clinical Engineering
ESSENTIAL MEDICINES AND HEALTH PRODUCTS
- Africa Region - Laboratories and Health Technology
- Region of Americas - Medicines and Health Technologies
- European Region - Health Technologies and Medicines
- Eastern Mediterranean Region - Medical Devices
- South-East Asia Region - Health Technology and Patient Safety Topics
- Western Pacific Region - Health technology and laboratory