Nomenclature of medical devices
Important references to nomenclature of medical devices in the last 5 years:
- International Medical Devices Regulators Forum (IMDRF) documents
- Regulatory framework from European Commission
- EU regulation for medical devices, pages L 117/7 (45) and L 117/34 (Article 26)
- EU regulation for in vitro diagnostics medical devices, pages L 117/180 (42) and L 117/205 (Article 23)
- Reference to the Global UDI database of FDA (USA) which uses GMDN coding.
However, the number of systems in existence can still make it difficult to communicate between individuals and organizations. As such, WHO is working towards a unified nomenclature system that can be used globally. To begin this process, a consultative meeting was held with stakeholders in March 2011, with follow-up meetings planned later this year to discuss forward work.