28 February 2019 | In September 2016, WHO published interim guidelines to prevent sexual transmission of Zika virus based on limited evidence during a public health emergency of international concern. Since then, the body of evidence has considerably grown and WHO experts concluded in March 2017 that guidelines needed to be developed using the formal WHO guideline process. These new guidelines are the result of that process and contain updated recommendations to prevent the sexual transmission of Zika virus, using best available evidence as of June 2018.
The risk of babies born with microcephaly has raised understandable concerns among women including those who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. There are many unknowns regarding the possible causes of microcephaly.
Scientific journal articles
New Zika research in the American Region of WHO
WHO Zika virus research agenda
Support and harmonization of research in countries: Standardized research protocols
Standardized research protocols
Standardized research protocols
These protocols have been designed to maximize the likelihood that data and biological samples are systematically collected and shared rapidly in a format that can be easily aggregated, tabulated and analysed across many different settings globally. The protocols are listed below and can be adapted and used by research partners, Member States and the diverse institutions that comprise the global community. We encourage any and all study centres to contribute to these research efforts to better understand ZIKV.
Spanish - Español
Case-control study to assess potential risk factors related to microcephaly including Zika virus infection during pregnancy
- Estudio de casos y controles para evaluar posibles factores de riesgo relacionados con la microcefalia, entre ellos la infección por el virus del Zika, durante el embarazo
Prospective longitudinal cohort study of newborns and infants born to mothers exposed to Zika virus during pregnancy
- Estudio longitudinal prospectivo en una cohorte de recién nacidos y lactantes nacidos de madres expuestas al virus del Zika durante el embarazo
Prospective longitudinal cohort study of women and newborns exposed to Zika virus during the course of pregnancy
- Estudio longitudinal prospectivo en una cohorte de mujeres y recién nacidos expuestos al ZIKV durante el embarazo
Prospective longitudinal cohort study of Zika-infected patients to measure the persistence of Zika virus in body fluids
- Estudio longitudinal prospectivo en una cohorte de pacientes infectados por el virus del Zika para medir la persistencia viral en los líquidos corporales
Case-control study to assess potential risk factors related to Guillain-Barré Syndrome including Zika virus infection
- Estudio de casos y controles para evaluar posibles factores de riesgo relacionados con el síndrome de Guillain-Barré; entre ellos, la infección por el virus del Zika
Cross-sectional seroprevalence study of Zika virus infection in the general population
- Estudio transversal de seroprevalencia de la infección por el virus del Zika en la población general
Standardized Protocol: Natural History Protocol for Zika Virus Infection