Consultative meeting on the eradication of yaws, 5–7 March 2012, WHO Headquarters, Geneva, Switzerland
The WHO Department of Control of Neglected Tropical Diseases organized a three-day (5–7 March 2012) informal consultation on yaws eradication taking into consideration WHO NTD roadmap and new findings that a single dose of oral azithromycin was as effective as a single injection of benzathine penicillin.
- To review the epidemiological situation on yaws in different regions and identify gaps.
- To analyse the implications of the Lancet publication on azithromycin in yaws eradication efforts.
- To develop criteria and process for yaws eradication, and outline implementation plans.
- To explore the collaboration of relevant NTDs programmes especially trachoma.
- To identify potential donors and partners to support yaws eradication.